Sunday, June 22, 2014

Gacha Probabilities - June 2014

The results are in from the June 19 - June 21 Double 5-star Chance Gacha Event! If you participated, thank you for contributing to the survey (created by 小為) to provide the Line Rangers player community with helpful information.

The Results

Our friends at LINE Rangers 台灣社團 have concluded their survey once the event finished and they were able to collect 349 sets of data from participants, a total of 5782 results (raw data is here) from Gacha. Results were:
  • 3★%: 30.56%
  • 4★%: 21.55%
  • 5★%: 47.89%
This 5 star result is over twice what the previous results were from their May study which were:
  • 3★%: 49.22%
  • 4★%: 30.17%
  • 5★%: 20.60%

The Analysis

Authors 小為 and 楊濟安 of LINE Rangers 台灣社團 posted this new article about their findings with some more information and analysis on the numbers. Contained within this box is their article interpreted in English. Note: The numbers on the article were as of late hours of June 19 when the data up to that point was reflecting an average of 43.85%.

If you played the 5+1 Gacha with 47.89% odds of receiving a 5-star ranger, this translated to about 2.88 5★ rangers out of 6 balls for every 100 rubies played. They went on to answer some really good questions based on the 43.85% result that they got at the time of the writing of their post. Wherever possible I'll use their math and adapt it with the end-result number of 47.89%.

1. How many times do you need to play to receive one super ranger? 
  - They defined super ranger as one of the eight 5-star rangers that everyone typically wants to get: KSM, Dancer King Boss (DKB), Sorcerer Cony (SoCo), Bernard, Hip Hop Brown, Dumpy, Dwight, Ola Brown. There are a total of 20 5-star rangers on the roster so the chances of you receiving one of these shiny 8 rangers is actually 19.16% during the event. 100/19.16=5.22 spins of the Gacha on average before you can expect to receive one of the 8 super desirable rangers. 

2. How much do I need to spend on average to get a level 80 Ola Brown?
  - For this question, we're going to have to assume that the chances to receive each of the 5-star rangers are equal (side note from Panic: we know this to be untrue because Line Game Support has directly told me that the odds for each of the rangers is preset, and they have said that "rarer" rangers have a lesser chance. I understood this means in reality some rangers are really preset to be less likely to pop out). 
   So, anyway, Ola Brown is 1 out of 20 of the available 5★ rangers. Multiply this by our 47.89% and you'll get a 2.39% to receive Ola Brown, which will take approximately 42 Gacha spins for 1 Ola Brown. You need 5 Ola Browns to max out so that means you actually need about 210 spins.
    Well, 210 spins means you have to play the 5+1 35 times (3500 rubies). I don't know how much they charge all the other regions in the world but in US Dollars on the Android Google Play market during the Ruby Event we can get 494 rubies for roughly $49. In order to get 3500 rubies, we'd have to buy just over 7 packs, which costs $343 USD! Unfortunately, it sounds about right... And if you happen to be unlucky, you'll spend more. 
    That said, I sincerely hope that if you were aiming to get Ola Brown that you did all your Gachas during this past event because if you don't do it during the double chance event, chances are you'll end up spending a great deal more money. But then again, these are averages based on some reality, some assumption, so take it all with a grain of salt.

3. Should I spin with 20 rubies or 100 rubies? 
   - This question involves a concept that we've touched on before when I shared the May event's results on this blog, which is whether or not the 6 results you get from spending 100 rubies are independent events. This means that one spin of the Gacha has no bearing on the result of the next spin of the Gacha. The authors believe that the 6 results from 100 rubies Gacha are independent events because a lot of people reported getting four 4-stars and one 5-star, or three 5-stars and three 4-stars. This kind of result would not be possible if the game developer had set the 100 rubies Gacha to be dependent events. For instance, if we believe the Gacha is set up to predetermined dependent results, then we should often get results of three 3-stars, two 4-stars and one 5-star, with some variability but not to the extreme of some people getting four or five 4-star rangers in one shot of 100 rubies. So we assume they are independent events and we can use the June results of 47.89% to do some calculations.
For this example we'll just assume that the chance of you receiving the ranger you want is 1 out of 100 for sake of illustration. 
    - If you used 20 rubies x5, the chance of you getting the ranger is 5%. 
    - If you used 100 rubies, the chance of  you getting the ranger is 6%. 

Based on 47.89% chance to get a 5-star ranger, we have a 19.16% of getting one of the desirable super rangers. 
    - If you use 20 rubies five times to spin 5 times you will average only 0.958 desirable rangers (which is to say playing 5 times can possibly yield you zero desirable rangers). 
    - If you use 100 rubies once to spin 6 times, you will average 1.14 desirable rangers (which is to say you'll get at least 1 desirable ranger on average in the bundle of 6).

    The difference is slight, but it lies in the fact that 100 rubies gives you that one extra spin. Remember the answer we got to question 1 above: you need to spin 5.22 times on average before you can expect to get a desirable super ranger. Playing 100 rubies puts you inside the chance to get one since you are spinning 6 times. In this light, playing the 100 rubies game is relatively better. This was deduced based on the information that was collected from the data set.Of course, your personal experience may deviate from this because this is the "average."

4. Should I spin while there is no double chance event?
The short answer is no, of course not. Here's why:
   - Since we have a 47.89% to get a 5★ ranger during the double chance event, then it goes to reason that without the event, our chances are roughly 23.95%. 

Our chances to get a desirable super ranger: 
   - With double chance event is 19.16%, averaging 5.22 spins to get 1 ranger
   - Without double chance event is 9.58%, averaging 10.44 spins to get 1 ranger

This makes it pretty obvious that during the double chance event your odds of getting something good are much higher. The authors recommend, as I also do, please resist the urge to scratch the itch while there is no double chance event going on! For if you do, you're very likely going to spend some time with this guy.
Go away, Pew. We do not love you.

Concluding Thoughts

I've stated this before and I think it is important to repeat this: The 47.89% number was an average from a vast pool of results. It is possible that you played and rolled on some very different results than the average. And surely you have seen on the internet instances where people have rolled insanely good results. But this is why this is the average. 

The other consideration that often makes players sad after playing Gacha is the fact that your personal set of "desirable" rangers may be a lot smaller than than 19.16%. Maybe all you want are Ola Brown, KSM and Dwight. In that case, you're rolling on much smaller chance and the chances of you getting something you don't want are much, much higher. 

Now, the last thing that is bothering me is the fact that this event's results differed greatly from last month's. June's double chance event was seriously more than twice more lucrative (and from my personal experience, I tend to agree with the results). Such a large difference cannot be a mistake on the survey because they had over 5700 samples. May's results were done with over 2000 samples, which should still be quite accurate. So I don't think the numbers are wrong. I think this was a deliberate change in the presets by the game developers. With the release of Team Battle Mode and Endless Mode, I believe they really want people to participate and they want people to feel competitive. Nobody likes losing over and over and that can make a PvP battle fizzle out very quickly. I'm guessing that's why they've more than doubled the odds to get 5 star rangers, so people will be more likely to jump into the new modes.

So in the end, I do apologize that I did not get this post out sooner because perhaps it would have swayed some players to take more advantage of the event while it was still possible to get the best odds at Ola Brown. However, now that the "new" non-event probability for 5-star rangers is roughly 23.95%, I wonder if it will stay that way until some other significant event happens (like new area release or new ranger release). Did they increase the non-event chance from 10% to 23.95% when the "major update" came out on June 19? Nobody knows for sure when the change in the odds was made. LINE has no obligation to tell us. We can only try to figure it out with our collective effort. Hopefully this provided some deeper understanding of the gamble that is Gacha. Special thanks to 小為 for pooling all this information for us to share.

29 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information.... really really insightful. I'm waiting for the next double chance event now after reading your conclusive findings. I was really lucky as I got 6 of the desirable rangers during the event except for SoCo & DKB. With ........ 300 rubies. 300! So although my odds were not 47.89%, my odds for hitting the desirables was rather high. I say .... go with the 6 spins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx for the findings. If each ranger has a preset probability, the top of class rangers like KSM and Ola must have lowest preset probability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree, KSM and Ola probably have the lowest preset.

      Delete
  3. Yeah this gacha is ridiculous. Pure luck.
    This month during double chance I spin more than 70 times (bought 780 rubies, plus free giveaway) and still got no KSM or Ola Brown.
    I got one Dwight, two Hip-hop Brown, and one Bernard from desirable ranger, though I don't desire Bernard, so I call them Magnificent Seven or Seven Wonders
    That's less than 5.7%, what a bad luck
    Pretty much I'll wave goodbye with Ola, and will always be annihilated on PvP if I met him coupled with Dwight, or Bernard on long tower map

    ReplyDelete
  4. In regards to cost for rubies... Think should be standard us$49 converted to local currency. So here in singapore it's S$60plus. Pretty steep. I wish they would lower the cost. LOL. Wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably standard to Japan Yen converted to local currency. US is not the standard for sure because it's something weird like $49.09 for the biggest ruby pack, not a round number.

      Delete
  5. speaking of the cost of these rubies. in Singapore, would using the US play store gift card enable making ruby purchases?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo everyone.

    During the last double change event i bought 2 pack of $49 ruby and save my last ruby from the first time i playing this game which is around 10 days ago..so totally i have around 1400 rubys at the start of the event.

    I rolled in gacha only the 5+1 (100 rubys) 13 times and for the most desirable rangers i got :
    2 ola brown
    2 hip hop brown
    2 DKB

    So for me the results is not what i expected. And it still shock me that i spent money on this kind game..But i can lived with it..

    I'm eager to get my hands on KSM, dumpy, and Dwight. .to take them on the global tournament..as im now still wipe out at 1600 points...hehehe (while the tournamen leader is now at near 10000 points and still rising up..)

    Thank you #panic for your blog. .it really help for newbie player like me to speed up learning process through the game..
    im from Indonesia btw..and i know that you already have tons of line rangers friend..but if you could still give some extra space..i would like to be your line friends..

    Thanks

    Warm Regards..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Panic, i have a theory that if a batch of new rangers released, their odds would be a bit better than the actual preset. It happens all the time, based on my random sampling from a lot of friends. People are getting new rangers with less rubies on the first few hours of the event.

    maybe you can pass this up to 小為 and see what he think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He reads the blog from time to time. :)
      It's a possibility, but with such a short time frame, it's tough to prove whether there's truth to it. Chalk it up to legendary stories, urban myths and the like. True or no, we can't verify it without some massive coordination and some knowledge of exactly when the event is beginning.
      In my heart I want to say I think this is true, but in my understanding of mobile game programming, this is probably not true. Certainly if there's a will, there's a way, but my gut reaction is probably not.

      Delete
  8. Panic, think they will add another double chance event just before the end of June to let players get Ola Brown for the last time? Haha Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was hoping for a last chance to get Ola too! Maybe they will give an event, or maybe roll it at Japan's midnight time

      Delete
  9. I agree with you panic, the last double event is really great !
    I bought 494 ruby and spin 5 times for 100 ruby gacha and I got :
    1st try : Gangster Boss - Luc Cony - Ole Brown - Ole Brown - DKB - Bernard (1st time get 5 rangers with 5-stars :D)
    2nd try : Gangster Boss - General Brown - War Jes - Biker James - Dumpy - Sindy
    Okay only get 1 ranger now
    3rd try :Clara - Clara - Sorc cony - Biker James - Ole Brown - Bob
    Better then before but it's good that I get sorc cony and ole brown
    4th try : Luke - Ryan - Walter - Duncan - KSM - Honey..
    Finally I get my 1st KSM hahaha..
    Last try : light jessica - sorc cony - thunder brown - ryan - KSM againnn !!!! - honey


    Really satisfied with this double gacha event.
    Overall I get 15 5-stars Rangers from 30 Rangers (50% !)
    and get KSM, DKB, Ole, Sorc Cony, Bernard and Dumpy (6 from 8 best rangers) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u were lucky mate. i also bought same rubies as u but all i got were 4star and 3 star only got 2 5star(they are the free rangers as well!! - -*) Q.Q

      Delete
  10. Hi, curious about team battle. No doubt people at the top of the leaderboard have very powerful rangers, most if not all of their rangers are "master", how are they able to accumulate so much battle points in such a short span of time? The reason I am asking is because the new cycle just start and within the first few hours I am seeing them accumulating well over 2000 points. Am I missing something?
    And is there any strategy to deal will "Master" Hip Hop brown, they are just too fast and furious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea. It started off normal. Right out of the gate after reset I managed to rank #6 on global ladder, and #1 was ready almost 80 points ahead of me. Then from there they're just exploding upward. I don't really know how unless they're playing ultra fast games. They're definitely paying for more special feathers, too. I don't know of any exploit, if that's what everyone is suspecting about the leaderboard people.

      Delete
    2. Also, fwiw, I think it's entirely possible to be at about 3000 points 7 hours after reset. I've played my recharged feathers continuously without buying more with rubies and I'm at over 1500, and I haven't lost any matches since reset yet so my points have only been increasing. so, if these players have been playing nonstop and buying special feathers, it's entirely within the realm of possibility that they've gained 5 times the amount of points that I have while I'm waiting 15 minutes per feather. I don't know how they burst out after reset so quickly but so far in my estimation, it looks legit if they've been playing nonstop.

      Delete
    3. it's actually made perfect sense. The elite guys with the whole master dream team probably won hundreds of rubies, if not a thousand. For what? They probably mastered every rangers in the game anyway.

      so all the rubies will goes to Coloured Feathers, and they won again, and again, until new rangers released, then they would spin like crazy, and then you realized that winter is coming.

      It's a vicious circle.

      Delete
    4. i don't know how to get ranking .. last time my leaderboard is rank 30.000
      after i was falling down .. my ranking is just decline .. oh my god .. any tricks to get beter rank .. i wish i can get 1000 rubies or 500 rubies ... anyway now my point is 1501 ...

      Delete
    5. There are crazy rankings now, my points are 1812 and my rank is still --

      Delete
  11. Lol you're right, winter IS coming.

    These people paid to play, played to win and now they're winning to play some more. Some people think it might be unfair but I think it's totally fair. They paid their dues to get the best rangers, paid to get more chances to get to the top. Everyone wins in the end of the ranking event per week - - paying players win more.

    Valar morghulis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I want to get all the special rangers and master them all, but money is money, and I need to save the attendance reward and save till an event comes and if I have enough rubies, I can spin like crazy and climb my way up to the top 10 or 3. But maybe that is impossible, who knows?

      Delete
  12. Eerr. Is it possible (i mean high possible) to get ola brown (event) but we do not have a 5star chance??
    Id line: -bhr_yusuf- (stats on 'friends' 6/21 or 6/22)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't worry Pew... I love you anyway :v

    ReplyDelete
  14. I has a little disagree, I spin 100 gacha 10 times, and i get 5 Ola(already), 3 KSM, 2 DKB, 3 SoCo, 2 Dwight, 1 Dumpy, 2 Bernard, 2 Hip Hop, so all super rangers, and 20 rangers are super rangers out of 60 rangers(and exactly half of it are 5*). So based on me and some friends (actually some hundreds on a group) said that paid ruby has a bigger chance, and here is my question, is that true? I don't know, I only share my opinion's

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am experiencing some issues , I am a silver badge player at battling mode -1668pts buy when battling I am reflected as a golden badge player where I kept facing golden badge players , wondering if any of you guys face the same problem

    ReplyDelete
  16. last time i got a ola brown in gacha 20 rubies,tomorrow i got lia.after 2x gaca doubled event end,i spin again,in my heart i am so panicking because sometime i dont get 5 star rangers,finally i got dumpy,i was happy last time.after it i spin again in 20 gacha rubies .. i got 3 star rangers 4 times ... i hope i can get KSM.i am afraid when i try 100 gacha rubies,i am waiting for 300 rubies giveaway on 30 june soon ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My special rangers are only SoCo and KSM : (
    Really want DKB, Dwight, Dumpy, Hip Hop B, and Bernard
    Ola Brown I am not really desperate for it but one side of me says that I have no chance getting it anymore. Goodbye Ola Brown, see you on the next Brazil World Cup

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excuse me, I'm Indonesia player. Earlier you posted about ruby event in Indonesia, do you know when they'll distributed the prize for the event?

    ReplyDelete