Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Attack Range: A Picture Story

One of the finer details of the game which I quietly pointed out in my "Did You Know?" post months ago is that the attack range of different rangers vary. In my own gameplay, I mostly memorized their ranges in relation to each other, and that's how you'll find I described them throughout most of my posts. But our Taiwanese Line Rangers friends have now unmistakably shown us how ranges differ by putting 39 rangers on display! (Valid as of the time of this writing.) Contained within the box is their article interpreted in English.

    This article comes from: LINE Rangers台灣社團
    Authors: 黃郁弘,小為
    Photo Editor: 黃郁弘,小為
    Revision: 小為
    Testing Team: 鈺,楊濟安,Hsingju Wu,ShawTim Liu,黃名揚,標準兔,黃郁弘

In their article, "Attack Distance Measured: 39 Team Members," they took 39 4-star and 5-star rangers and with a ton of time, feathers, and screenshots later... lined them up in one incredible picture of ascending attack range. I'm not going to say anymore -- seriously, just click on the link! Scroll down and look at the picture. It tells a thousand words. Note: the testing group all have 100% treasure achieved in Skyscraper zone's Far-reaching Insight which increases attack range. 


Picture below is a translated table of the rangers quantified by range. Click to enlarge view.


Ok, cool, right? Of course. They also shared one really keen finding. Honey the speedy bee ranger has the same range as Sol. But she has an interesting attack animation: she arches back and then lurches forward to sting the enemy. They found that when Honey arches backward, it's not "just" animation; her position actually shrinks backward, taking her out of immediate enemy hit range. When she swings forward to sting, she is back in melee hit range again. So it is possible for Honey to avoid being the first target to be attacked when she swings back and forth! Weird. I wonder if the same sort of swinging motion applies to Dwight, whose attack animation is quite a lot of space. 


They also pointed out that Songster Cony is actually a pretty good ranger because her long range (quantified at 11) gives her a lot more survivability over other choices like Opera James. At max level, Ola Brown's DPS-to-cost ratio is almost identical to that of KSM (140 vs. 146). But Ola Brown's attack range is unprecedented for splash attackers and his attack speed is incredibly fast, making him a truly great asset to the team. 


The set of pictures at the bottom of their article show the difference in various rangers' standing distance between having the Skyscraper area treasure at 0% and 100%. They used Friends' rangers to illustrate the difference. (Edit: By the way, this means that when you use your Friends, no treasure benefits apply to their rangers.)

Range is really quite important to keep in mind as you progress through the more difficult stages. Sindy makes herself invaluable as a freely available ranger in so many stages because of her ability to out-range enemies. In the same way, Witch Cony is also a very good choice but with less DPS. Ola Brown can reportedly solo the first 80+ stages due to both his very far reaching ball and his high attack speed. Why is Dumpy such a high impact single target unit with such a low cost? Because he is relatively short range with relatively little HP, making him vulnerable to death. Clara and Opera James are two of the most closely related free rangers, but why does Clara cost so much more while doing less damage even though Opera James has longer range? Clara's value lies in the fact that she is obtainable 72 stages before Opera James and sometimes move speed is more highly valued than sheer DPS (Players who were around for the original version of stage 84 will know what I mean!).

In almost every ranger vs. ranger comparison, there is a reason for why one stat is low and another stat is high, justifying their various cost and cooldowns. Attack range is one very relevant stat to compare. Hope that this was illustrative and useful.

20 comments:

  1. Ola brown is great!
    He was a core asset when I farmed for my last 3 star treasure in Skyscraper since he could take out the mob of the ranged guys without being hit at all. I just wish I could get lucky before the end of the month and get more Ola browns to synthesize

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could remove the above comment when you are done too. I don't want any more ranger friends adding me. My friend list is exploding. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness don't I know it? Someone awful took my line id, posted it in some Indonesian forum without my permission and I'm getting dozens of friend adds without warning, even though I set my public user id unchecked. And there's nothing I can do about it.
      If whoever it was who posted it there is reading, please for my sanity's sake, remove my line id.

      Will remove your post immediately, friend.

      Delete
    2. First of all, thank Panic so much, the information is really useful.

      The one who posted your ID in Indo forum is so impolite. I think the only solution is that you can BLOCK new friends who u don't wanna see on both your friend list and your friend games, Panic.

      Until now I don't have any new rangers thru Gacha, this makes me get bored. And there is no more new area, and no new event that makes Line Rangers become more boring.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Trinh. Yeah, I block them but it's literally hundreds. I block 100, two days later another hundred. I can't even count how many minutes a day I spend just blocking. It's so frustrating. The number of people who had added me is in the thousands. Grr!

      I think Line Rangers will be interesting very, very soon. Hang tight. ;)

      Delete
    4. Actually, what is the drawback of someone adding your ID?
      Isn't it means you get more friends point?

      Yeah, except that the one that added us are very noisy and asked for help, tips, advices, etc. I do not think it is something that are very annoying.

      I agree, I am too getting bored because there is no update in the past week :D

      Delete
    5. When your line notifies you every 10 minutes and you think it's a text from your real life friends but it's just another stranger adding you without permission... Several thousand times... Need I say more?

      Delete
    6. Ah... I see.
      That just like me before I turned off my notification for line.
      Anyway, you can turnoff the notif for line games via settings-notification-additional services.
      Pick the game and turn off messages and notification.
      It helped me.
      Just in case if you don't know it already :)

      Delete
    7. Because you has dedicated many value articles to Line Rangers' Community, everyone loves to add you as their friends, Panic :-)

      Becoming a famous person, you should be accustomed with the annoyance of your Fan. Haha, I'm kidding, be patient to block many unwanted friends.

      Delete
    8. yep....thousand times everyday will surely disturb you panic

      go to setting, notif, add service and unchecked message from line rangers. thats it

      i am unchecked my notif too because sometimes I am sicking tired open my line chat only to find it was a friendship pts or help. It doesnt mean we dont like people help, but we dont want disturbed by the notif

      i thought a gamer like you have 2 line accounts huh ? hahah 1 for personal and 1 for game

      Delete
    9. one more thing panic, do you think gacha using 20 are much better to prevent bad luck ?

      let say you have 100 rubies and spin 5+1 gacha and yeah sometimes we got good rangers but sometimes not even 1 5 stars.

      I tried on my own....using 100 for 5 x 20 can prevent bad luck hahaha. once you spend 100 and got bad rangers....you are done....but with 20 you can limiting any potential to got all 3 stars or no 5 stars (note that i used it when double chance event)

      based on my friend experience....he use 100 gacha for 20x5....and he use it slowly....so he will use gacha 20 in (say 2 PM), stop and gacha again in 3 PM, 4 PM, 5 PM, and 6 PM.....i must say his result was quite amazing.....he doesnt press again again to re-gacha but wait about 1 hour.

      i also suspect taiwanese and thai gacha machine maybe much better than other country.....hahaha.....or does LR lean more toward people who spend more money ? because i know 1 friend who purchase a thousand of rubies and now when he spin gacha...you can be sure 2-3 5 stars was out from gacha ball....

      i am also curious is there any good time to gacha ? hahaha....believe it or not I once saw 6 people who use gacha 100 around 8AM-9AM morning in my country in a different day and 5 got KSM....it must be interesting if there are people who do a research for this weird thing....

      personally i always write a note when i gacha. I recorded the time and also the rangers i got so now I only using gacha when i know it's a time I often got 4-5* rangers...pretty weird but works for me

      Delete
    10. I already have everything that I can reasonably turn off turned off. I have real friends who I unfortunately cannot reply to on a timely basis because I routinely get these friend adds (which in and of themselves cause notifications and that does not have an option to turn off notifications), and I ignore line sounds so I miss messages. Honestly, I do regret not keeping the accounts separate now but it's too late. If I don't reply, it's not because I don't want to help. It's because I can't reply to every person. It really is impossible.

      For me, my belief regarding gacha is this: random means random. Time of day, location, whatever other ritual, are happenstance. If spending more money guaranteed you higher success, then I should I have Lv 80 Ola Brown but I don't. What spending more money guarantees you is more chances to get what you want, so in a way, yeah, it's kind of true. It's like lottery. If you don't buy a ticket, you can never win the jackpot. If you buy more tickets, you might have more of a chance. It's luck of the draw within the confines of the predetermined probability of each Ranger set by the game. But that said, whatever works for you! We can debate it until we are blue in the face but, some people believe there's some gimmick and I believe it's RNG. Random number generator.

      Delete
    11. Worst thing for me is random friend ID add and then Cookie Run invitation. They don't even add me for LR purposes! Can't they just use empty line ids!? Sheesh!

      Delete
  4. Great info Kirby, thanks for the post. I'm surprised with Ola & Songstar Cony. Songstar will be a great ranger to add as farmable in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been right before. Let's hope you are right again :)

      Delete
  5. You forgot to add shu onto the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You forgot to look at the date of the post.

      Delete
    2. oh i thought you'll just update and add new rangers onto the chart. Sorry lol

      Delete